Monday 25 March 2013

Oz The Great and Powerful film review


http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/oz-the-great-and-powerful-banner-poster.jpg

So I've finally got to watch this film at last!
I was excepting it to be good and I was pleasantly surprised at how GOOD this film really is!

So what is it about? Well it follows the great wizard of Oz (James Franco), before he was the great wizard and was a small town magician in Kansas. Well obviously he somehow gets to Oz and he becomes the wizard. But you'll have to find out how..if you haven't already spoiled it for yourself by reading other reviews! Along the way he meets his servant monkey Finley (Zach Braff) and the three witches (Glinda the good witch- Michelle Williams)....two of which Wicked! (Evanora - Rachel Weisz and Theodora- Mila Kunis)...So this bring Oz to haing to fight the  Oz and emerald city to take control. BUt of course I don't want to spoil how he does this!

Anyway, with a soundtrack from Danny Elfman it was good. A little predictable on what it sounds like to be honest, but still good.

The story was easy to follow and kept itself entertaining without being over the top....In other words there was not a ton of JUST talking scenes with nothing at all happening. James Franco (as always for me) played his part very well portraying the cocky and arrogant side of Oz first and transforms seamlessly to the kind Oz at the end. I love his portrayal of Oz, but that maybe just my opinion!he balance between action and talking. Well this was like an 'explosions' type of action, its more like ermm, fireworks, magic and trickery action....so base you opinion on whether you'll like it on this!

Right so CG.....even though it was very unrealistic, and completely unbelievable in the slightlest, with even some scenes looking like an obvious back drop! I think this style was purposely like this as it had an 'old fashion' feel throughout the whole film. However that couldbe just my bias opinion. I still think it done its job well of showing the magically place  Oz is. The scenery was overtop and very Alice in Wonderland-esc...which I think suited itself very well....

Right so overall. I would say got to watch this film if you like Harry Potter, Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz and the musical Wicked.

Thanks for reading and let me know what you thought in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, share your thoughts~